A guided self-drive overland tour through the Kalahari region and the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park.
Look forward to spectacular game viewing with a chance to encounter the famed black maned lions and get up close with a mob of meerkats. Pack your camera and binoculars because this region is home to 40 raptor and vulture species making it a prime birding location.
We spend time with the ‡Khomani San and learn from a San tracker to identify tracks and plants in the area. Other activities on tour include a visit to the Lost City of the Kalahari, sunset drinks on the red sand dunes and a night drive in the Nossob area.
The route includes a combination of rustic and established campsites. Two campsites have no facilities as we travel off the beaten track to camp on a 10 000 ha pan and also set up camp amidst red sand dunes on a private farm. All other camps have running water, showers and flush toilets. We stay at all the main camps within the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park where power is provided.
The trip starts in the small oasis of Van Zylsrus in the Northern Cape. From there we travel west to Askham on gravel via the R31 to a private farm. To reach camp, we will need to drive a short distance on sand. We then make our way to the Molopo River and drive in the dry riverbed to the Askham area. From Askham we hit the tar north towards the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. All roads within the park are gravel or sand and guests are welcome to explore on their own time and pace. As we exit the park we travel south towards the Rietfontein region, the roads will include gravel, tar, sand and pans.
The majority of this route is driven on gravel roads. This route is suitable for any 4×4’s including 4×4 trailers and 4×4 bush caravans. If you are not towing, a 4×2 vehicle with diff-lock will also be suitable for this trip.
- Endless Africa welcome gift bag.
- All bookings for overnight campsite accommodation and camping fees.
- All entry fees, *conservation fees and permits for day and night activities which include: SANPARKS night drive, meerkat encounter experience, ‡Khomani San tracking experience, camel farm tour, scorpion hunt (Oct tour only) and a visit to the lost city of the Kalahari.
- Route planning, organisation and tour design.
- Selected meals and drinks as indicated in itinerary.
- A CATHSSETA registered overlanding 4×4 expedition tour guide. (Meet your guide Juba)
- A Qualified Wilderness First Responder (First Aid Level 3).
- Two way VHF radio communication for the duration of the trip.
- All Firewood
- A signature Endless Africa experience that makes a visit to this region genuine and memorable.
* Discounts on conservation fees will apply to guests with Wild Cards.
Travel Insurance, Own Vehicle & Fuel, Camping Equipment, Transfers to starting & end points, Selected Meals.
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park and surrounds