CEDERBERG & TANKWA ROCK ROUTE
A guided self-drive overland tour through the Cederberg and Tankwa Karoo in South Africa.
The mystical rock formations in the Cederberg is home to a rich legacy of rock art painted by one of Africa’s oldest tribes, the San also known as the Bushmen people. On this specially designed tour we explore a collection of rock art sites scattered throughout the Cederberg mountain wilderness and travel the rugged roads and vast open plains of the neighbouring Tankwa Karoo.
The journey will take you on meandering mountain passes and through riverbeds. Look forward to daily nature excursions on foot and in vehicles exploring the surrounding indigenous fynbos and waterfalls with a chance to swim in rock pools. Spend some quiet time at the wilderness camps to unwind and find tranquillity with the peaceful sounds of nature around you.
At night we gather around the campfire, to braai and cook dinner together while we savour the spectacular night sky.
This trip is for adventure travellers eager to explore nature and the remote terrain of the Cederberg and Tankwa Karoo. It is a real rustic experience with limited facilities at camps therefore guests must be fully self-sufficient.
Allow yourself the time to disconnect and embrace the true freedom of being out on the open road, while Endless Africa guides you to your next unforgettable adventure.
On this trip we will drive from the southern Cederberg into the heart of the Cederberg mountains all the way north to the Nardouws mountains while camping at remote and rustic campsites along the way. The route includes tracks that are only accessible by a 4×4 with low range capabilities. From the northern Cederberg region, the route will take you over the Doring River to the Tankwa Karoo. Here we explore the dusty and unrelenting landscapes of the Tankwa Karoo driving towards the Roggevelds Mountains ending the trip by spending the last night in the Tankwa Karoo National Park.
The majority of this route is driven on gravel roads. This route is suitable for 4×4’s with low range.
Embark on the ultimate self-drive adventure, featuring rock formations, rocky terrain, rock pools and ancient rock art.
- All bookings for overnight campsite accommodation and camping fees. Some campsites on this tour are not open to the general public.
- All entry fees, conservation fees and permits for day activities.
- Route planning, organisation and tour design.
- A CATHSSETA registered overlanding 4×4 expedition tour guide. (Meet your guide Juba)
- A Qualified Wilderness First Responder (First Aid Level 3).
- Access to emergency satellite phone for the duration of the trip.
- Two-way VHF radio communication for the duration of the trip.
- A signature Endless Africa experience that makes a visit to this region genuine and memorable.
Travel Insurance, Own Vehicle & Fuel, Camping Equipment, Transfers to starting & from end points, Selected Meals.